Administrative and Financial Officer
EMBO Administration & Finance is responsible for controlling and reporting the finances of EMBO. Responsibilities include the oversight of budgets and payments for all of the activities of the organisation. EMBO Administration & Finance is also responsible for the annual financial statement of EMBO. Other tasks of the team are related to the administration of the organisation.
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 4, 5 or 6; depending on qualification and experiences
Closing Date: 22/03/2021
EMBO is seeking an experienced Administrative and Financial Officer for EMBO Administration & Finance. The Administrative and Financial Officer provides a wide range of administrative support for all activities of EMBO and will be expected to take an active part in ensuring completeness, accuracy and conformity.
- Assistance in budget preparation, monitoring and controlling
- Support of budget holders
- Acting as point of contact for EMBO Programmes and services
- Support with financial administration of grants
- Assistance in solving specific administrative and financial issues
- Support in coordination and execution of financial and administrative projects
- Preparation of financial reports
- General basic accounting and administrative tasks
- Entering data into the IT system
- E-Banking and supervision of bank transactions
- Invoice control
- Support and administering audits and year-end transactions
- Correspondence, documentation and filing
- Preparation of meetings
- Support of and backup for the Administration and Finance Team
- General administrative assistance
and performing additional tasks as required by the Head of Administration and Finance.
- Knowledge of: budgetary control; basic accounting concepts; financial reporting principles;
- at least three years' professional experience in finance, controlling or accounting
- solid knowledge of standard office software, especially Excel;
- the capacity to work independently as well as a part of a team in an international environment;
- A self-motivated personality and interest in adding value to the team;
- fluency in English; good working knowledge of German;
- excellent written and oral communication as well as interpersonal skills.
You might also have
- experience in taxation;
- interest in learning accounting principles of an intergovernmental organisation, Swiss and German law;
- knowledge of standard accounting IT systems (e.g. DATEV, SAP, Taylorix or Lexware);
- experience in controlling.
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering a high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation.
The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, and educational and other family-related benefits. As a non-profit organisation, we have an informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
The Administrative and Finance Officer reports to the Head of Finance and Administration.
Please note that appointments on fixed-term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.