Be a part of a dynamic, global team! As part of the North America Audit Hub you provide audit services to Munich Re’s North America entities to assist Senior management in the achievement of the Company’s strategic objectives. As a trusted advisor, the Internal Auditor builds effective relationships while providing independent value added internal audit services necessary to provide reasonable assurance regarding the effectiveness of governance, compliance, risk management, and internal controls systems. The Internal Auditor participates as a lead staff on engagement teams that conduct independent assessments of Munich Re’s internal control environment through the execution of risk analysis, control evaluation, and audit testing procedures and techniques.
Individuals in the Internal Auditor role participate in the execution of audit engagements from audit planning activities through completion of the engagement. Depending on experience Individuals in the Internal Auditor role demonstrate the ability to independently apply audit methodology to all phases of the audit life cycle from planning to reporting, including understanding business operations, scoping the audit, identifying risks and controls, designing and executing testing with minimal oversight and assisting with the writing of audit reports.
- Contributes to or depending on experience independently conducts thorough risk analysis, control identification, and audit program development.
- Independently concludes on the effectiveness of controls. Identifies control gaps and exceptions from expected control activities and independently evaluates the potential impact. Demonstrates the ability to multi-task, by clearly documenting the results of work on more than one audit concurrently.
- Executes and completes assigned audit work in accordance with agreed upon milestones and dates. Demonstrates technical knowledge of routine business processes and continues development of technical and analytical skills to understand more complex business processes.
- Independently or with guidance from project lead interprets the associated risks, develops testing approaches, and proposes solutions. Effectively communicates control weaknesses and control gaps to operational management.
- Makes sound recommendations for audit finding rankings and effectively supports conclusions during discussions with audit clients. Contributes to continuous improvement (CI) efforts.
- Participates in efforts to solve problems and make audit processes more effective and efficient.
- Demonstrates an understanding of data analysis concepts and procedures. Effectively conducts data analysis to facilitate audit scoping and testing. Aware of changes in Internal Audit practices, regulatory requirements, and Risk frameworks to understand their impact to Internal Auditing and Munich Re. (e.g. COSO, IFRS, GAAP).
- Executes and cpmpletes assigned audit work in accordance with agreed upon milestones and dates.
The impact on the Company may be far reaching. As this role requires the individual to understand many aspects of the Company’s operations and requires the individual to understand the big picture, the individual is in a unique position to identify risk and/or control issues that could have a major impact on the Company.
Scope of Accountabilies
The Internal Auditor must recognize that there are many factors (client personnel, technical understanding of areas, etc.) that make their role very challenging. At the same time, a valued Internal Auditor will stay focused on simple rules of engagement that draw upon key Interpersonal and Decision-Making skill sets. A tactful approach with the Client that identifies well-balanced facts is key.
A Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration, or equivalent.
Two or more years of audit or relevant business experience with a focus on business process operations. Basic to intermediate knowledge of internal audit practices, and financial and operational process documentation. Demonstrated ability to evaluate internal controls, effectively participate or execute large portions of an audit independently, analyze and solve complex problems, conduct research, and express ideas clearly, concisely and persuasively both verbally and in writing. Demonstrates a strong understanding of business ethics. Insurance Industry / life insurance is a plus.
Progress towards completing the CIA or CPA exam is preferred.
A familiarity with ACL software (Audit Command Language) or other data analytics tool is desired.
Analytical skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong attention to detail.
Travel 25 - 30 percent domestic and international.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting and Auditing.
Experience working with insurance companies and prior Big 4 Accounting Firm.
The completion of other insurance or audit related certifications is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The work environment characteristics, and any physical and mental requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.