Accountant 3 (7735U) #25416
UNEX Administrative Depts
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 28, 2018
UC Berkeley Extension is the continuing education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. Extension offers more than 2,000 courses per year in a variety of subjects both online and in the classroom. Extension's administrative departments and units include student records (transcripts), registration, scheduling, international student services, facilities, financial services, and the cashier's office. In addition to the main Berkeley center, it has responsibility for the maintenance and operation of regional centers in San Francisco (Spear Street), and Belmont and other leased facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
40 % GENERAL ACCOUNTING AND INTERNAL CONTROLS:
Helps implements and/or maintains one or a combination of general accounting systems (including Berkeley Financial System and Destiny Student Information System).
- Ensure the accuracy, control, and reporting of financial data. Assist with the annual fiscal close process, to help ensure accurate presentation of University Extension's activities in the campus general ledger.
- Responsible for system administration tasks in Destiny including requests for new Special Requests; Discounts; General Ledger accounts; Service Charges; Program Offices; Costing Units; etc.
- Oversee all transactions that go through BearBuy (our Procurement system for all expenses besides Payroll).
- Responsible for all purchases on the campus issued BluCard for other than Travel and Entertainment (i.e. paying for memberships, one-time expenditures for items not available in BearBuy, or using vendors who will only allow payment via credit card).
40% PREPARES JOURNAL ENTRIES, MAINTAINS AND RECONCILES LEDGER ACCOUNTS:
Oversee the daily and monthly Accounting functions, including:
- Prepare financial journal entries.
- Reconcile and substantiate balance sheet general ledger accounts on a monthly basis.
- Initiate the monthly interdepartmental (IOC) transfers in BFS to other campus departments.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Prepare the weekly report of the Wires claimed by Extension and send to campus
- Work with A/R Work Lead during Fall and Spring Concurrent Enrollment to determine number of Cal1 Cards issued to students; reconciliation of all Concurrent Enrollment Revenue.
- Calculate and prepare journal entries to split the Revenue with applicable campus departments as well as special considerations for departments who receive > the standard 50/50 split.
- Work with A/R Work Lead to transfer CRU invoices into Revenue accounts
10% PROVIDES ANALYSIS FOR COMPLEX ACCOUNTING PROJECTS
5% PROVIDES RECORD OF ASSETS, LIABILITIES AND OTHER FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS
5% BALANCES BOOKS PERIODICALLY AND PREPARES FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related area, as well as a minimum of 3 years of accounting experience.
- Has thorough knowledge of accounting function and assignments.
- Has ability to independently gather, organize, and perform accounting related analysis.
- Requires ability to present information in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally.
- Thorough knowledge of financial transactions and financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications, especially with advanced functions in Excel
- Experience using Oracle (PeopleSoft), Hyperion Essbase is helpful.
- Strong inter-personal skills; service orientation; ability to multi-task effectively in a varied, high-volume environment; judgment and decision-making;, reasoning; ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: